08 Sep Teenager charged with attempted murder after 15-year-old boy shot going to school
A teenager has been charged with attempted murder after a 15-year-old boy was shot near Kesgrave High School in Suffolk.
The suspect, who is also 15 and cannot be named for legal reasons, was also charged with firearms offences over the Monday morning attack.
He was arrested by armed police just over two hours later in Ipswich, around four miles from the scene of the shooting.
A long-barrelled gun was also recovered from a car matching the description of a vehicle seen driving away.
Suffolk Police confirmed on Tuesday night the suspect, who is from the Woodbridge area, had been charged with attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of injury.
He was remanded in custody ahead of his appearance via video link before Norwich Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
The victim suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. He remains in a critical condition.
Kesgrave High School confirmed that the boy was one of its Year 11 students but sought to reassure parents about the safety of other pupils.
“In order to provide reassurance to the school community there will be a police presence as students leave school today and over the next few days,” the school tweeted.
On Tuesday the school said its students had been “simply amazing”, adding: “Calm and focused in class and clearly glad to be back in school. A very difficult time for the school community but all supporting each other.”
Suffolk Police said its officers “will continue to engage with school children, teachers, parents and local residents to provide reassurance, listen to any concerns and to reiterate the fact it is an isolated incident”.